Phone: (225) 926.2291 8470 Goodwood Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70806
Who We Are
They drew a circle and shut me out,
A heretic, a rebel, a thing to flout.
But love and I had the wit to win,
We drew a circle and took them in.
(This poem by Edwin Markham inspired the congregation of the Unitarian Church of Baton Rouge in 1988 to build, as part of the Sanctuary Chancel, the largest circle window extant in any building in our city.)
This section explains a bit about our faith and what it means to be a Unitarian Universalist. It also introduces our church leaders and offers a bit of history specific to our building and congregation.
The Unitarian Church of Baton Rouge - currently has 375 members, with a median of 200 in attendance at Sunday morning adult worship. We offer
- two Sunday morning worship services at 9:30 and 11:15
- a quality music program with intentional variety and innovation
- incorporation of music into worship services in especially creative ways, such as the annual Jazz, Gospel, and Blues services
- A well established and supported Religious Education program for children and youth
- A thriving youth group with about 20 participants
- Many social justice activities, including participating in the Together Baton Rouge partnership with other area churches
- A variety of adult education classes and continuing groups, providing opportunities for spiritual growth
- A 24-year ministry to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people
- A strong small group ministry program called Branches with 23 groups and 230 participants.
The church staff currently consists of a Senior Minister, with a 28-year pastorate, an Assistant Minister (beginning August 1, 2012), full time Music Director, Children's Music Director, full time RE Director, volunteer Program Director, Assistant Program Director, Director of Outreach, Director of Social Justice, Pastoral Care Director, an Office Manger, and Information Technology Director.
Our Mission Statement
Grounded in Love and Respect for Nature and Humanity
And Dedicated to the Individual's Search for Truth
We Provide a Home Where We can Celebrate Spiritual Diversity
And Commit Ourselves to Serving the Human Community.